Monday, August 2, 2010

Sweets Applique Quilt

I am leaving tomorrow on my trip to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (yay!) and I wanted to get one last post in before I go. Lately I have been working on a new quilt - it's my first applique, so we'll see how it goes. There will be 5 patterns, each done twice. I designed my own patterns for this - I googled patterns and saw that they were just simple drawings. Making your own is really easy! So today's Square of the Day is...

From Blogger Pictures


...the cupcake! Originally I cut it out with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, which is what you can see in the picture. But then along came Wonder-Under, which is great because you can make detailed cuts without worrying about the seams messing it up.

*edit – now I’ve just gone through the fabric and almost all of the pieces have come off. The W-U didn’t even last 24 hours…that’s pretty disappointing. Is there a trick to it? Anyway, here’s the sketch for the new quilt.


More of the cupcake without the seam allowance (and the blue fabric with the chocolates will be every other square – that’s the shaded part on the sketch).



Potter World, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment